Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive

This scheme focuses on the domestic sector including homeowners, private and social landlords (where the heating system serves a single household), and self-build homes.

To claim the Domestic RHI your installation must be accredited by Ofgem. It must have been installed on or after the 15 July 2009. You must apply within 12 months of your system being commissioned (as shown on your MCS certificate), unless your system was commissioned before the onset of the domestic RHI, when you have 12 months from the start of the scheme.

Eligible system types

  • Biomass boilers meeting emissions limits
  • Wood pellet biomass stoves with back boilers, meeting emissions limits
  • Air source heat pumps (air to water only)*
  • Ground (and water) source heat pumps*
  • Solar thermal (flat plate or evacuated tube, supplying hot water only)

There is no limit to the output of the system, but it must be certified under MCS or an equivalent scheme. The product should also be listed on the product eligibility list. Biomass systems must meet the emission requirements and will have to meet fuel sustainability requirements when they come into force.

Eligible heat uses

  • Heating a space - heating of rooms in your property
  • Heating water - for hot water to your taps

Solar thermal systems may only supply hot water.

Green Deal Assessments

Before you can apply for the Domestic RHI, you must have a Green Deal Assessment and obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home.

If the EPC recommends that you install loft or cavity wall insulation, then you must do this before applying.

Metering requirements

Most people don’t need to install meters under the Domestic RHI. Payments are based on estimated heat use or generation.

Metering is required if you have some types of back-up heating, if your home is occupied for less than half the year, or if your biomass boiler doesn’t heat your entire property. Metering is never required for solar thermal systems.

The current Domestic RHI tariff rates are published by Ofgem.

More information